Community Education Facilitator
The Community Education Facilitator has responsibility for :-
- Promoting the development and nurturing of new community based learning groups;
- Providing support to new and existing community based learning groups in the from of technical, administrative and educational inputs;
- Developing and encouraging partnerships and links with statutory and other providers;
- Promoting the role of the sector in supporting outreach and referral to the statutory sector;
- Liasing on accreditation and certification issues;
- Helping community education interests to access funding;
- Networking of groups both nationally and locally and supporting their participation in community fora
- Sharing good practice from the sector and supporting the mainstreaming of lessons into national policy and practice;
- Reporting to the Local Adult Learning Boards.
Under the Back to Education Initiative, 10% of the places and funding will be allocated on an ongoing basis exclusively for the development of community education. This initiative is in addition to the Adult Literacy and Community Education Scheme (ALCES) which fund various educational courses/programmes/classes for adults and communities. Other initiatives are operated by the Department of Social Community and Family Affairs and the local development initiatives of the Area Based Partnerships.
Funding of (£3.5m) €4.45m has been allocated under the Education Equality Initiative to address the current gaps in provision for educationally disadvantaged women and men.
For further information about Back to Education Initiative B.T.E.I. (Community Strand) and Community Education, contact:
Ann McNamara, Community Education Facilitator, Co. Roscommon VEC, Castlecourt House, Roscommon.
Also contact, Stephanie O’Connor Shaw, Adult Education Resource Worker
Phone: 090 6630581